I was born and raised in a small town outside of San Diego County, called La Mesa. La Mesa, California, also known as “The Jewel of the Hills” was established in 1912. Throughout much growth, both in population and industry, La Mesa’s sophisticated yet quaint image has risen over the years. La Mesa is now best-known for its seasonal festivities, as well as for its historical downtown area on La Mesa Blvd. more commonly referred to by the locals as “The Village.” I moved from La Mesa to Puerto Rico about three years ago and always experience a major shock when I return back to my hometown. I can barely keep up with all the changes! I am an old soul and normally struggle with accepting change when there are alterations and new establishments around our town, but this visit found me in a completely different state of mind of acceptance. I was completely overwhelmed by how many new restaurants, bars and shops were lining La Mesa Blvd but there was not one place that didn’t feel like it belonged. The city has been doing an amazing job at what is being allowed to be opened in town and restricting establishments that don’t mesh with the quaint town vibe. Everything felt like it remained true to the original historical design of town as well as integrating just the right amount of newness to draw the right kind of attention.
I am learning to accept the beauty that can come with change. Now when I return to my hometown of La Mesa I look forward to seeing what has altered along the boulevard and what remains the same. There’s very little that could alter my love for this adorable little town that I will always call my original home. This list of restaurants that I have provided below is primarily establishments that are set along The Village Blvd. If I left something out or have placed something on the list that no longer exists please comment below and let me know. Even though I live in Puerto Rico now I love keeping informed about what happens back in my family neighborhood. You can be guided to the websites belonging to every single one of the places listed below simply by clicking on the name. Enjoy!
List of New Establishments in La Mesa Village
- Farmer’s Table : Food to Fork (Read My Restaurant Review!)
- Coin Haus : 50 tap Beercade, classic arcade games
- Craft Kitchen : Over 30 tap Craft Beer, Bar & Grille
- Blvd Noodles : Ramen & Asian Fusion
- Public Square Coffee House : Coffee House & Venue
- Sheldon’s Service Station : Coffe Bar, Dining and Venue
Newbie’s Still Holding Ground
- Bo Beau :Kitchen & Garden Dining
- Bolt Brewery: Home brewed craft beer in the industrial circle of La Mesa
- Hoffer’s Cigar Bar
- Konnichiwa Sushi Bar: A super funky sushi bar
Some Good Ole Classics
- Johnny B’s Burgers & Brew (My father’s favorite spot in town)
- La Torta : You have to try their home fries!
- Swami’s & La Mesa Bistro (I personally prefer La Mesa Bistro better even though the menu’s are identical, it’s all about vibes & energy with me)
- Por Favor : Authentic Mexican Food and Really good margaritas
- Tiramisu Trattoria
- Centifonti’s : Bar & Restaurant, amazing breakfasts and Italian Gelato
A Few of My Favorites That I Grew Up With Still Standing Strong (a wee bit off the Blvd)
- Chopsticks Inn : Pan Asian Cuisine, my all time favorite spot since childhood
- Mario’s De La Mesa: Mexican Food, amazing brunches great for family
- Tamarind Thai
- Trolley Stop Deli
My last visit home was filled with fun, family and lots and lots of food. I added a restaurant review about my visit to the new Farmer’s Table La Mesa and you can read it here in my Restaurant Reviews Page . I can’t wait to see what changes will be in store for me on my next visit back to La Mesa!