When I began struggling to complete my usual morning meditations and affirmations, and I wasn’t able to find my own days direction within myself, I began pulling tarot to help guide and center me. All I had was an adorable Tiny Tarot deck and no knowledge to back anything up that I was doing. I began with three card pulls just to set my intentions and daily affirmations, and used the technique as a calming practice while I was traveling during the last month. My travels took me to New Orleans where I stumbled into Marie Laveau’s House of Voodoo. Without intention, my energy guided me directly to two items that I would never have normally selected to purchase on my own. I didn’t allow for thought, I only let my instincts guide me through the shop and spent more money than I ever do on myself in normal circumstances. My eyes and head wanted a different deck. My energy forced me to select the Tarot of Mermaids. I live on an island so I figured this was an appropriate deck for my surroundings and became curious to learn how the deck would guide me.
I normally love diving straight in to my new findings, but for some reason once purchased, I had no driving desire to even open the deck. I unpacked my entire travel bag and even left the unopened deck all alone in my backpack. I found it odd that I still didn’t want to touch them, but I know better than to question my instincts and knew when it was time I would know. This morning was the time, and the intention of my pull was not even for myself. A friend in need reached out to me with a simple “I feel like I need to see you soon…I’ve been feeling lots of different things lately, I just need to center myself again.”. This was a special woman who deserved a special pull from a special deck. Out came The Mermaid Tarot. I had two other close friends who reached out to me in different ways, but I could feel each of their individual stresses, anxieties, and needs. I made three separate pulls, and sent each of my friends the images and descriptions of what I pulled, allowing them to create their own interpretations.
I can not deny my energy’s strength. Without any knowledge of what I am doing, my pulls are always eerily and freakishly on point. Always. I’ve always known that we are all capable of greatness of different kinds, but I am only recently learning to toes the outer edges of my personal power. The least I can do is honor this process a little more fully by educating myself a little further. I did a little research just for some basic definitions and understanding of the deck that I was using. I didn’t want to much outside guidance to effect my own energy and instincts. Below I show my very first full tarot pull. Mermaids and Tritons show the human side, head and bust, hiding their true nature underwater, the fish shaped appearance. In the first 1-8 list, I listed the card spread diving meaning. In the second set of 1-8 I list my own personal pulls followed by the cards meaning with my own personal interpretations in parenthesis.
- Current Situation
- Abilities and strong points
- Question being examined, which could get out of control
- Weaknesses, bad habits. Revealed and submerged stomach
- Influences of others, aftermath of old problems
- How the situation could develop negatively without necessary actions
- Which “boats” you should rock, what can be done, what must not be done
- Summary: sums up the meaning of the other 7 cards, what is obvious, what is hidden, guiding toward the end
My Personal Pull & Interpretations
- VIII Strength : moral strength, courage, ability to interact with others, ability to persuade, aptitude for work (I am currently at the top of my life game when it comes to my own energy and understanding of my capabilites. Others can feel my energy before they are aware of me or why they have the feels and I always try to use that power for good in aiding others)
- II High Priestess : mysteries of femininity, unexpected pregnancy, an unforeseen event, feelings sacrificed for reason, the pursuit of power, breaking rules, ability to judge, willingness to study (I was raised surrounded by men and tomboyish females with “male instincts”, only now in my thirties am I discovering the power of my femininity and learning about what it means to Be A Woman. I am learning to put my personal feelings to the back burner when the time calls for a level head. Some minor authority issues, yes, I’ll admit it. I have always loved to learn but have only recently began seeking out extra knowledge of all kinds on my own time)
- The Fool : eccentricity, unpredictability, psychological instability, desire to sidestep the rules, to escape from everyday routine, multiple professional skills, tendancy towards sexual freedom and erotic quirks, opportunism, willingness to be the center of attention, ambiguity (Rules are guidelines for those lacking instincts and intuition, life is not black & white, after celibacy throughout my twenties-my thirties are for discovering and owning my sexual freedom. I don’t enjoy being the center of attention, but I am willing to do so for good causes and inspiration for others. I am more than one, more than I, I am So Much in one human form)
- IV of Wands : refuge, accord, time to meet with success (the time is now, success of different kinds is coming my way faster than I can process)
- IV The Emperor : will, ability to control events and situations, ability to meditate as well as strength, virility, violent exercise of power (I used to let events control me, now I am in control of my universe. At times I forget what I am capable of and unintentionally and excessively exert my power)
- VII The Chariot : success, capacity to lead, ability to keep ones head above water, instinct (Whether I want to be or not, I am a leader. Completely comfortable being guided or a part of a group, but the group will always follow me and look to me for guidance. I am a source of calming strength to most that I know. Trusting my instincts has never ever steered me wrong and every time I used my head or heart instead I met disaster)
- Knight of Chalices : great passion, emotional turmoil, unfaithful lover, fickleness, whim, inconsistency (Passion in Everything that I do! I am an incredibly sensitive empath and before I was aware of what my energy was capable of used to deal with a lot of undisciplined emotions and feels. I have a unique experience and thought process behind sex/love/lovers/relationships/etc…we are not here to restrict or label each other, we are here to learn from and enjoy each other. I am not an unfaithful lover, I am open and honest with anyone who I chose to share the magic that comes along with sharing my body and energy with)
- I The Magician : skill, diplomacy, ability to astonish, capacity to seduce, enchantment (Sums up the meaning of my card pull and my currently life situations perfectly)
I am HOOKED. I love the individual magic behind tarot cards. Everyone could pull the same exact cards and come away with different interpretations suited to each individual moment and experience. Every card has a different meaning depending on its position, so you will get a unique and detailed perspective on your current situation. I made the mistake of getting too excited and offered readings to a few friends which I posted in my Instagram Story (Follow me on Instagram @gypsysugarcloud). I was swiftly contacted by others requesting readings and because I was in a learning, practicing, and giving state of mind, I allowed more of my energy to leak away than I had intended. I was not aware of what I was doing. What I was capable of. After four hours of readings I was overcome with an enormous wave of exhaustion. I looked in the mirror to see a wild eyed woman with crazy curls, huge dark circles, bags under my eyes, and an ache that was rapidly spreading through my entire body starting from my temples and reaching down to my ankles. Despite being well rested, taking my Kratom, and drinking my morning coffee, I felt like I had been awake for two days straight and had completed a triathlon. Now I know. I will not make that mistake again. I will never ever completely block my energy from others and vice versa, again because I have learned in the past how much that restricts my energy in other useful ways. I will, however, protect myself better the next time I read tarots for someone else other than myself. Energy is incredible stuff and we are all capable of so very much more than we realize. Proceed with caution anytime you are attempting to give or receive energy work of any kind because whether we are aware of it or not, our energy leaves stains and cords throughout everything that it touches. Blessings!